- 2 cups flour
- Kosher salt and white pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) milk
- 3 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ripe green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 4 ounces goat cheese chevre
- Creme fraiche
- Red pepper coulis, recipe follows
- Micro greens, for garnish
Red Pepper Coulis
- 2 roasted red peppers, seeded and peeled of skin
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Hot pepper sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Set up three separate bowls for the different steps of breading. In one bowl add flour and season with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper. In the second bowl add the eggs and whisk in the milk until mixed. In the third bowl add the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and mix.
Dip tomato slices into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Finally, dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Place breaded tomatoes into hot pan and fry until each side is golden brown. Remove from the pan and let dry on a paper towel.
Mix the goat cheese with a touch of creme fraiche until it has a smooth shapeable consistency.
To serve, place about 1 tablespoon red pepper coulis on a plate, top with the fried tomatoes, then the goat cheese mixture, and then more coulis and garnish with micro greens.
Red Pepper Coulis
Puree the red peppers, marinara sauce, heavy cream, hot sauce, to taste, and salt and black pepper in a food processor until combined. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
Put the mixture in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until reduced by 1/3. Once the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency, remove from the heat and set aside until needed in above recipe.